Salary: Dependent on experience
Introduction to WRc
WRc is one of the UK’s most innovative and independent environmental and engineering consultancies. Founded 90 years ago, we have a unique heritage. We are trusted by Government, industry, regulators and the utilities to solve today’s most significant and urgent challenges in the fields of waste, water, gas and the natural environment.
Our Resource Recovery Consultant will support clients that need to reduce the quantity or hazardousness of their wastes to drive down costs. Other clients wish to recover products or energy from their waste and/or decrease virgin material use in their processes. Our Consultant will help provide an in-depth understanding of the chemical and physical properties of wastes and secondary materials. You may be a waste chemist, geochemist or material scientist with practical experience of solid waste treatment operations, or specific sector experience, e.g. wood, metals or plastics.
The role will be predominantly office based with occasional visits to client facilities. The role will also involve with working alongside WRc’s on-site laboratory to broaden our current test base and develop new client offerings.
The Role Includes:
- leading or providing technical support for consultancy projects;
- liaising with clients to understand their needs;
- performing data analysis, modelling, reporting and project management;
- specifying and managing internal or external testing programmes and preparing interpretive reports;
- sharing findings with clients to help realise benefits in the light of WRc resource recovery or waste characterisation consultancy projects;
- proposal scoping and development and project management;
- leading or supporting initiatives to develop new work streams based on own skills and experience;
- contributing to wider service offerings arising from resource recovery, and process evaluation opportunities.
- Minimum of a first degree in a STEM discipline, preferably a chemical science.
- Several years’ work experience with solid wastes e.g. within the waste and resource management industry, manufacturing, metal and mining or construction industries.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and make recommendations.
- Ability to work in challenging situations, possess a "can do" attitude, able to devise new approaches to problems encountered.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Eligible to work permanently in the UK
- Excellent IT skills
- An MSc or PhD, preferably in chemistry-based discipline or chemical, civil or environmental engineering.
- Previous experience of working with industrial wastes or in the waste management sector, including: operational experience of solid waste treatment technologies, resource recovery from waste including energy recovery and management and environmental impact assessment (EIA).
- Experience of working with analytical testing facilities for waste analyses and classification.
- Ability to lead and motivate, willingly takes ownership of issues and seeks team participation to achieve best solution.
The WRc Opportunity
2018 marks the next stage in our journey. WRc has embarked on an ambitious plan that aims for significant growth and expansion in the next three years. This will provide exciting project and development opportunities for the right people joining us. You will play your part in our future by enabling us to achieve our commercial objectives through the delivery of customer-focused solutions. In return, you will be part of an organisation in which expertise is celebrated; an infectious passion for your specialist skill-set is actively welcomed; and drive and performance are rewarded.
Our Resource Efficiency team supports clients who recover value from unavoidable waste by generating energy and developing products. In an ever-evolving regulatory climate, improving a waste classification outcome or removing problem contaminants from a waste production or treatment processes presents technical challenges and often requires innovative approaches, so we welcome candidates who can think outside the box. Our services include resource recovery underpinned by waste characterisation, consultancy in resource efficiency to support the circular economy, environmental risk assessment, statistical analysis/survey design and waste testing in our in-house laboratories.
Culture & Benefits
In our welcoming and inclusive environment, at WRc we foster a culture where talented and motivated people are nurtured, encouraged and supported to succeed and develop their skills. We know that with the right people, we are able to build on our unrivalled reputation in the fields of innovation and technical excellence. We welcome team members who bring new ways of thinking and fresh approaches to problem solving as well as those who have a genuine passion for their specialist subject or area of research.
In return for your commitment, we offer a wide range of benefits including:
- Full on-the-job training
- Flexible working hours based on a 37-hour week, Monday to Friday
- A contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Free accident/life insurance
- Cash Health Plan
- Active Sports and Social Club
- Subsidised on-site staff restaurant
- Free Parking
- On-site gardening club & allotments
- Office location with easy M4 access / excellent travel links
For more information on the type of work that we do please visit our 'What we do' page.
Please APPLY ONLINE.
WRc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates.