Salary: £25 - £28k (Dependent on Experience)
Introduction to WRc plc
WRc plc is one of the world’s leading innovative and independent scientific and engineering consultancies. Founded 90 years ago, we have a unique heritage. We are trusted by government, industry, regulators and energy and utility companies to solve today’s most significant and urgent challenges in the fields of water, gas and the natural environment.
The WRc Opportunity
2018 marks the next stage in our journey. We have embarked on an ambitious plan that aims for significant growth and expansion in the next five years. This will provide exciting opportunities for the right people to join us. You will play your part in our future by enabling us to achieve our commercial objectives through the delivery of customer-focused solutions. In return, you will be part of an organisation in which expertise is celebrated; an infectious passion for your specialist skill-set is actively welcomed; and drive and performance are rewarded.
Our Resource Efficiency team supports clients in recovering value from unavoidable waste by generating energy and developing products. Combining the expertise of statisticians and waste scientists with our specialist laboratories, we provide independent and verified solutions that have credibility with the regulator. We work closely with in–house toxicologists and modellers to assess the potential hazardous properties of wastes and the environmental risks of waste recovery options. We also gather evidence for policy development and provide peer review and expert statistical assessment to optimise the value of research.
Our services include resource recovery underpinned by waste characterisation, consultancy in resource efficiency to support the circular economy, environmental risk assessment, statistical analysis/survey design and waste testing in our in-house laboratories.
Our Resource Efficiency team is expanding and so we are looking for a Waste and Resources Consultant ideally with practical experience of municipal or industrial solid waste treatment. Relevant treatment processes could include AD, MBT, composting and energy from waste. WRc’s expertise in the characterisation of waste treatment feedstocks and residues, and statistical interrogation of in-house datasets, provide insight into the efficacy of a treatment process.
You will ideally have worked within the waste and resources sector or manufacturing industry since graduation, gaining experience in recovering resources, products or energy from waste.
The role includes:
- technical support for consultancy projects including data collation, reporting and analysis, report writing and proposal preparation;
- contributing to wider service offerings arising from resource recovery, process optimisation and process evaluation opportunities.
- Minimum of first degree in a STEM discipline. An MSc or higher would be advantageous.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and make recommendations.
- Ability to work in compromising situations, possess a "can do" attitude, able to devise new approaches to problems encountered.
- Ability to lead and motivate, willingly takes ownership of issues and seeks team participation to achieve best solution.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Excellent IT skills
- Flexible approach to work
- Eligible to work permanently in the UK
Culture & Benefits
In our welcoming and inclusive environment, at WRc we foster a culture where talented and motivated people are nurtured, encouraged and supported to succeed and develop their skills. We know that with the right people, we are able to build on our unrivalled reputation in the fields of innovation and technical excellence. We welcome team members who bring new ways of thinking and fresh approaches to problem solving as well as those who have a genuine passion for their specialist subject or area of research.
In return for your commitment, we offer a wide range of benefits including:
- Full on-the-job training
- Flexible working hours based on a 37-hour week, Monday to Friday
- A contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Free accident/life insurance
- Cash Health Plan
- Active Sports and Social Club
- Subsidised on-site staff restaurant
- Free Parking
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- On-site gardening club & allotments
- Office location with easy M4 access / excellent travel links
For more information on the type of work that we do please visit our 'What we do' page.
Please APPLY ONLINE Closing date for applications 29th February 2018
WRc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates