Senior Laboratory Technician (Waste Testing Laboratory)
Salary £ 23-25K
As an experienced Laboratory Technician, your main role will be to work with other members of the laboratory team to deliver professional, quality assured laboratory support for our Waste Consultancy team, working primarily in our Waste Testing Laboratory and other parts of our laboratories as required.
The main duties will include:
- Assist with registration of samples arriving for analysis
- Waste sample preparation (E.g. drying, weighing, sub-sampling, particle size reduction by grinding and sieving).
- Set-up and monitoring of routine laboratory tests (following initial training) according to standard protocols.
- Dispatch of samples for sub-contracted analysis.
- Archiving of samples.
- Assist with planning weekly lab work schedules and monitor sample turn-around times.
- Assist with QA monitoring (UKAS and ISO 9001 quality management systems), lab organisation and instrument calibration checks.
- Input and checking of test results to spreadsheets.
- Authorise and QA check results for issue to the Waste consultancy team.
- Modify and develop new methods with appropriate discussions/support from Laboratory Manager and Consultancy team.
- Taking an active role in liaising with the laboratory manager regarding issues and seek team participation to achieve the best solution.
You will be:
- Committed to bringing scientific discipline and good laboratory practice to your work
- Practical and methodical in your approach
- Excellent communicator and IT literate
- Able to follow complex standard procedures,
- Able to work effectively within a small team
- Able to define problems, making careful and accurate records, draw valid conclusions, and make recommendations.
- Able to work in pressured situations, possess a "can do" attitude.
Excellent numeracy and literacy skills are required. Previous laboratory experience is a must, as well as a science degree. Possession of a full driving licence would also be advantageous. Our laboratory operates to strict Health and Safety requirements and Quality Standards, and training will be provided to bring the successful candidates up to speed with all aspects of the position.
In return we can offer:
- Flexible working hours
- 25 days holiday
- Contributory pension scheme
- Free accident and life assurance
- Active sports and social club
WRc is an Independent Centre of Excellence for Innovation and Growth. We operate across different sectors including Water, Environment, Gas and Resource Management. Our clients include regulators, water and gas utility companies, government organisations, NGO’s, trade organisations, industrial manufacturers and waste management companies. Building on a legacy in the international water and environment sector stretching back over 90 years combined with the knowledge of our staff based in Swindon, we bring a shared purpose of discovering and delivering new and exciting solutions that enable our clients to meet the challenges of the future.
Please APPLY ONLINE. Closing Date 28th March2018.
WRc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates