The National Centre for Environmental Toxicology (NCET), a specialised team within WRc, has experts who provide independent and confidential research and consulting services to assist organisations and businesses in assessing and managing health risks from pathogens in the environment. NCET has a long track record of working for the UK Water Industry and Regulators as well as the industrial and commercial sector in the UK and abroad.
- Provision of an independent advisory service on the health significance of microorganisms in drinking water.
- Alert notification on any significant developments regarding existing or new and emerging pathogens of relevance to the water industry.
- In-depth reviews of topics of concern impacting on water supply operations.
- Advice on good practice for water supply hygiene to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Assessment of the effectiveness of disinfection strategies and treatment barriers.
- Application of microbiological risks assessments and audits to identify vulnerability and perform exposure assessments.
Identification of the most significant sources of contamination using the source/pathway/receptor risk assessment approach.
- Prediction of the impact of microbial loading from various sources such as sewage effluents, land drainage and other diffuse sources.