Salary: £16k to £18k dependent on experience
Introduction to WRc plc
WRc plc is one of the world’s leading innovative and independent scientific and engineering consultancies. Founded 90 years ago, we have a unique heritage. We are trusted by government, industry, regulators and energy and utility companies to solve today’s most significant and urgent challenges in the fields of water, gas and the natural environment.
The WRc Opportunity
2017 marks the next stage in our journey. We have embarked on an ambitious plan that aims for significant growth and expansion in the next five years. This will provide exciting opportunities for the right people to join us. You will play your part in our future by enabling us to achieve our commercial objectives through the delivery of customer-focused solutions. In return, you will be part of an organisation in which expertise is celebrated; an infectious passion for your specialist skill-set is actively welcomed; and drive and performance are rewarded.
WRc is seeking to expand its laboratory capabilities, particularly in the waste analysis sector. This is an opportunity for a technician who would enjoy a varied range of tasks including sample registration, preparation and test procedures. As part of a team, reporting to the laboratory manager, you would be working with materials derived from a range of waste streams (e.g. ash from waste incinerators and residues from municipal household waste).
The role will be based at our Swindon laboratory, which operates to ISO9001 quality standards, and may include tests for which WRc has UKAS accreditation.
The main duties are likely to include:
- Sample registration (input to a database).
- Preparation and characterisation of samples (e.g. Weighing, oven drying, compositional sorting, grinding, sieving, etc). This will include some manual handling within Health & Safety guidelines, as well as operation of machinery in our sample preparation facilities wearing appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Undertaking laboratory analysis following standard procedures (e.g. titrations, pH measurement, dry weight and moisture analysis and loss of mass on ignition). Full training and support will be provided.
- Transcription of experimental data into spreadsheet record forms.
- Assisting with maintenance and housekeeping in the laboratories.
- Assisting with checking calibration of instruments on a scheduled basis.
You will be both practical and methodical in your approach to work and able to understand and follow standard procedures. The work requires careful and precise observation as well as accurate and consistent recording of laboratory data. Basic numeracy and literacy skills are required as well as familiarity with the use of Excel spreadsheets. Previous laboratory experience would be an advantage but not essential as full training will be provided. For the right candidate, there may be an opportunity for day-release study of a recognised qualification (e.g. NVQ/SVQ in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities). Our laboratory operates to strict Health and Safety requirements, and you will be equipped and trained to work safely.
Culture & Benefits
In return we can offer:
- Full on-the-job training
- Flexible working hours based on a 37-hour week, Monday to Friday
- A contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Free accident/life insurance
- Cash Health Plan
- Active Sports and Social Club
- Subsidised on-site staff restaurant
- Free Parking
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- On-site gardening club & allotments
- Office location with easy M4 access / excellent travel links
Please APPLY ONLINE. Closing Date 31st December 2017.
WRc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates