The Sahara® Leak Location system allows pipeline operators to pinpoint leaks in large diameter pipes of any material with a diameter of over 100 mm (4”). It can be used in live potable water mains with no disruption to customers. The Sahara® system can be used for the effective management of new and existing pipelines.
- Identify leaks and resulting unaccounted for water
- Pinpoint the precise position of leaks
- Monitor general pipe condition through leakage
- Locate leaks in newly-laid mains during pre-commissioning
- Aid risk assessment of mains near dams and embankments
- Prove pipe integrity at critical network crossings (e.g. road and rail)
- Locate the exact line of water mains
The Sahara® System uses an acoustic sensor to detect the noise generated by water escaping from the pipe. The sensor is introduced into the pipe through a tapping of 2” (50 mm) or larger. The sensor travels along with the flow; as it passes any leak it detects the sound generated and gives an indication to the operator.
Passing close to each leak means the system will work in pipes of any material and of any diameter. Every leak can be individually identified and its relative size assessed. Leaks as small as 1 litre/hour can be detected.
The sensor is mounted on an umbilical cable which allows its position along the pipe to be controlled precisely. This, coupled with a built in tracing device - Pipespy 2000TM, allows the sensor position to be tracked accurately from above ground. When a leak is identified, the system operator can establish the exact location quickly and indicate the position for any excavation required for repair.
Using a GPS receiver, the position of any leak and the exact line of the pipe can be recorded.
Survey lengths of up to 2000 metres can be achieved - detection and location of leaks 2 km from the insertion point is just as accurate and reliable as at 20 m.
- Detects leaks as small as 1 litre/hour
- Detects multiple leaks in a pipeline
- Entry and use in live potable water mains
- Pinpoints position to less than 0.5 metres at depths up to 5 metres
- Reliable in all pipe materials
- - iron, steel, uPVC, MDPE, GRP, concrete
- Works in all pipe diameters
- - successfully used in 100 to 2700 mm mains
- Precise position recorded using GPS receiver